** spoiler alert **
Ok… So this is part one of reviews of the books of this series. I am re reading The Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris, mainly because I put the series down in 2012 after starting them in 2001. I couldn’t even bring myself to read the new book.
Honestly I have read Dead Until Dark several times over the past eleven years and never before have I been so disgusted with this book. Honestly I cannot remember why I even liked this book to begin with. Let me start with some of the things I despised the most.
1) Sookie, aside from Bella from Twilight could a character be any more annoying? She cries away this whole book, has no personality and is a bad dresser. There is nothing interesting about her aside from the fact that she is supposed to be pretty, and the telepathic thing. All she does is clean, sun bathe, work and have every man in Bon Temps want to fuck her.
2) Bill- such a one note character, while more interesting than Sookie it’s never a good sign when minor characters inspire more interest then the MC’s main snuggle bunny. I make no secret that I am a hard core Eric fan and this novel just gives you a taste of how much more awesome Eric is.
3) Once again, the MINOR characters like J.B, Terry, Eric and Pam are all more interesting than the MC and her love interest, granted these characters, most, become main ones but c’mon. Even the VILLAIN was more interesting than Sookie and Bill.
4) Now I will complain about passages I found freaking RIDICULOUS.
a. “Your blood heals” I said after a little pause. Yes I am referring to the scene after they first have sex where he shoves his blood covered finger inside of her to heal her after rough de virginizing sex. YUCK
b. ”Did you ever play show me yours with your brother” Not only was this passage out of the blue and disturbing it was thrown is hap hazardly just so that we could find out Sookie was molested by her Great Uncle and then Bill could act like a psycho macho vampire and kill him. This might have been interesting if it hadn’t 1) Been tossed in without any forewarning and 2) been completely pointless to moving the plot forward.
c. He slid directly into me as if he were trying to reach through me to the soil. SERIOUSLY? He is practically raping her in a muddy graveyard. I mean I am all for dominant hot sex scenes and I have nothing against sex in a cemetery but this was just horrible. I mean apparently she’s not even wearing panties cause he just rams it home, after sleeping naked in the dirt… So logically now she has mud in her cooch. GROSS.
d. ”I know you can tell hee never actually…ah..screwed me.” Sookie, telling Bill about her molestation experience. Obviously Ms. Harris has never been a victim of such tragedy because Sookie would not actually say something so crude about something so horrible. Especially since we’ve been led to believe she’s sweet, modest and virginal.
e. “I want to enter you again.” who says this kind of crap when telling the woman YOU LOVE you would like to have sex again. It’s creepy, and not hot. Just lame, like she ran out of ways to say fuck.
There were about a dozen other little things…But you get the point.
Now things I did like
1) Bubba- what can I say… Elvis rocks!
2) Sam- I always enjoy this character, I just do not think he and Sookie belong together.
3) Fangtasia- Pretty much everything about Eric, Pam and this whole set up makes me very happy.
Now I am not saying don’t read this… I’m just saying be warned. I loved this once upon a time and now… Well you just read it. *shrug*
2 out of 5